Driving While Distracted
We are all well aware of the importance of maintaining focus while driving, but let’s be honest, it’s not always easy. When you hear that certain “DING!” on your phone and know you have a new text…or maybe it’s that email you’ve been waiting on, you almost can’t help but take a quick peek at your phone to see what it is. We, as adults, have little self-control over this, and like much of America, you probably have a teenage driver, or will have in the future. How do we instill the importance of distraction-free driving to our kids, when have a hard time ourselves? Here are a few statics for you, courtesy of GoTrueMotion.com:
- 85% of drivers are distracted by their phone while driving
- Drivers are on their phones for 1 out of 6 minutes while driving
- 71% drivers are texting while driving
- 16-19-year olds are three times more likely to be in a fatal car crash
- 27% of drivers who were in fatal crashes were in their 20s
- The trend of fatal crashes caused by a distracted driver is on the rise and expected to surpass DUIs in the next two years
Those are some scary numbers, whether or not you have children of driving age. While there is no magic wand that can be waved to make you, or your kids, stay focused solely on driving, there is one option, the TrueMotion app. This app is able to capture certain info about how you interact with your phone while driving, i.e.: if it’s in your hand, lap, or cup holder; whether you’re texting or calling; if you’re tapping or swiping, and based on all of this information, it gives you a score. The safer you drive, the more points you earn, which can be redeemed – for real cash and prizes! A few of our agents have downloaded this app to track their driving habits, and you should too. It’s an eye-opener.
We don’t want you or your children to become part of a statistic – be safe, pay attention, and just drive. Texts, emails, and calls can wait until you get to where you’re going…your loved ones will be glad you did.